Sunday 28 October 2012

Weekend

I have been flat out on our weekend......

Painting verandahs, mount Everest pile of washing  to do, kids stuff.....

We went to a swimming carnival on the weekend too. That was a big day, the little one is one tired boy going to Preschool today, but he insisted on going.

Lots of good swimming times. A third in backstroke and a fun day out was the order of the day.

We caught some yabbies too in our nets at our dam.


After we got them out of the nets we purged them of the dam water by placing them in my laundry sink with some fresh water. (So you don't get a muddy taste).


This one was a feisty one.

After about 8 hours I put them into a container and placed them in the freezer to put them to sleep.

Once they have about 20 minutes in the freezer, they are good to chuck into the pot. Once red, they were ready.

Sorry no pics of the result, but you can imagine it!

They have tough claws too, so to break into them I use a meat cleaver to crack them open to get the meat out. You just shell them like a prawn and eat them while hot.

Even H ate them. I told him he is now officially allowed to eat lobster as I know he will appreciate it.

And I know Jamie Oliver says no to freezing lobsters and to just chuck them in the pot, but I like to do it the humane way putting them to sleep first.

I thought this was apt.



Hope your weekend was good! x

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I haven't had yabbies for ages. I'm all for freezing them too - we did the same thing with the mud crabs we used to catch when we lived on Bribie Island. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - Love the cartoon, and love a yabbie or two. Yummo. Kx (The Blog a House Built)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you didn't take any pictures of the yabbies when they were cooked because you were in too much of a hurry to eat them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was busy cooking steaks for the non-yabbie eaters, so I forgot to take a pic at the time!

    Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete