Monday 19 August 2013

O'verlays

Finally!!!

I have been waiting for years and years for O'verlays to make their way to our shores in Australia.

It truly is worth the wait though. If you are a DIY'er who loves Ikea, this is the product for you!

If you have never heard of O'verlays before, let me explain.

They are thin pieces of decorative PVC that can be glued onto furniture or mirrors. They can be painted, and they are used in so many different ways to make a simple piece look much more "high-end". It truly is an inexpensive way to transform furniture taking it to the next level.

Ikea furniture can be transformed into designer look pieces using O'verlays. You can buy O'verlays to suit the particular styles of Ikea furniture, because it is already premade and measured to fit.

If you have an old piece of furniture lying around that you are bored with, you can order custom fitted O'verlays to suit your project. They really are so versatile!


Let me demonstrate.........




They give a bit more "depth" to plain furniture.





Love this one layered over the top of a mirrored chest of drawers.





Just look at the transformation of this basic "Malm" chest of drawers. Makes such a huge difference to this basic Ikea piece! I love the Greek Key style, but there are so many different patterns that I would find it hard to pick one.


before





After





With the O'verlays glued on and painted a lovely blue, this chest is anything but boring or basic.










With the help of some mirrors, a bit of DIY skill and lots of different O'verlays,. This Ikea wardrobe is transformed into something you would expect to be an expensive custom piece.



If you want a modern look, you can paint them a different colour and stick them on. This nursery looks fabulous with a pop of colour on the O'verlays!








And how could we forget the $20 Lack table? Doesn't look like a cheap table now with the Greek Key style fretwork!

The possibilities are endless, only limited by your imagination...


They stick on with Liquid Nails, so there is no carpentry skills required. Some people use heavy duty double sided tape so the O'verlay can be removed if you like to change the look for something different.

The O'verlay Blog has lots of great ideas, advice and tutorials, you can find it here.


To order or buy O'verlays you can go here


I can't wait to try some out!




On another note, I have been having problems with my blog. I am trying to reply to all my comments, but the text box has my blog page on it (my blog within my blog) so I can't reply to you until I figure out how to get rid of it. So I am very sorry if it looks like I am ignoring my lovely commenters! 

Anyone else having this problem?

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I've always wondered how this look is achieved. Where are overlays available from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.myoverlays.com.au/

      And they are on Facebook too. I think they are a great product!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing. :-)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I like them alot. I wish there was an ikea a bit closer to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Ikea was closer to us too, may have to make a visit someday. If only they did online shopping...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete