Thursday 27 September 2012

Iris

I don't have much to report today.

Only that some mice chewed the wires in my oven, (dirty little buggars) and luckily it was only a 10 minute job to fix it. Instead of having to order and wait for parts for weeks on end. Yay!

You don't realise how much you use an oven until it is broken down.

In my garden, I don't have an abundance of flowers yet, but there are some bulbs left in the ground from years ago that are flowering.

Behold the yellow iris.....



I need a few more in the vase so they "sit" properly.


I love Iris, the rhizome that keeps giving.

They do well here as the soil is red and sandy. Actually, they grow in black soil too which is a bonus as gardeners with black soil are limited to what they can grow. They are extremely tough and drought tolerant so I love to mass plant them in a bed. They often have babies you can divide up, and the leaves look great even when they aren't in flower. I will need to invest in some different varieties too, because I transplanted lots from my old garden, but they won't flower for a year or two while they settle in their new patch of dirt.


This is on my south west verandah.

At this time of year it is the loveliest place to sit and have a beer. But in a couple of months when that western sun hits it can be stinking hot too. If there is a breeze around it is beautiful.


That's about it for me today, lots of other things on the boil though which I will blog when I can.

Joyous spring to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment